What is the Fortune Global 500?
The Fortune Global 500 is an annual list of the top 500 global companies by total revenues – public and private included. The Fortune Global 500 list is compiled and published by Fortune Magazine, which is based in New York City, U.S. Edgar Smith, a Fortune editor, created the Fortune 500 concept, with the first list getting published in 1955.
The 2019 Fortune Global 500 Companies
The top 10 Fortune Global 500 companies are as follows:
The full list can be found here.
Statistics Regarding the 2019 Fortune Global 500 Companies
The following are key statistics regarding the 2019 Fortune Global 500 companies:
- The 2019 Fortune Global 500 companies generated aggregate revenues of $32.7 trillion.
- The companies on the 2019 list posted aggregate profits of $2.15 trillion.
- The number of U.S. companies on the Fortune Global 500 fell to an all-time low in 2019, when only 121 U.S. companies made the list.
- Saudi Aramco reported the highest profits at $110 billion.
- Walmart was the top-ranking company on the list for the sixth consecutive year.
- Country Garden Holdings posted the greatest jump in rank – rising 176 positions on the 2019 list.
- Walmart reported the largest number of employees (2,200,000), followed by China National Petroleum (1,382,401) and China Post Group (935,191).
- There were 113 government-owned companies on the 2019 list.
Additional Types of Lists Published by Fortune Magazine
In addition to the Fortune 500, Fortune Magazine publishes several lists, such as the:
- Fortune 500: A list of companies that generated the highest revenues in the United States.
- 100 Best Companies To Work For: A list of U.S. companies that are deemed (using data from analytics firm Great Place to Work) to be the best (in terms of happiness and perks) for employees to work at.
- World’s Most Admired Companies: A list of companies that are the most admired (through gathering data from over 3,750 executives, analysts, directors, and experts).
- Most Powerful Women: A list of female individuals who are the most powerful (influential). There are four criteria: (1) size and importance of the woman’s business in the global economy, (2) the direction and health of the business, (3) the woman’s career, and (4) cultural and social influence.
- 40 Under 40: A list of influential young leaders.
- World’s 50 Great Leaders: A list of individuals that are transforming business, government philanthropy, etc.
CFI offers the Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)™ certification program for those looking to take their careers to the next level. To keep learning and advancing your career, the following resources will be helpful: