Corporate Governance Overview
The purpose of corporate governance is to guide the conduct of an organization. Corporate governance is not a role or a position; it’s a system of stewardship that creates policies, protocols, and practices to ensure the alignment of interests between key stakeholders like management, investors, customers, and employees.
Two core purposes of corporate governance are to mitigate risks and to support the development of long-term competitive advantages in the market. Through the deployment of functions like enterprise risk management, strategic planning, accounting and disclosure practices, talent management, and succession planning, directors can have a significant impact on an organization’s longevity.
In this course, we cover the five Ps of corporate governance and how each is applied within an organization. Next, we outline and compare the roles between company management and its board of directors, and between public and private market governance strategies. Finally, we will discuss how to assess and improve corporate governance performance as well as how to create an internal governance structure.
Corporate Governance Learning Objectives
- Define the purpose, function, and core concepts of corporate governance
- Compare the roles of company management and its board of directors
- Explain the nuances between public vs. private market governance and modern ESG expectations.
- Describe how strong governance reduces risk and creates opportunities for a firm
- Analyze various techniques to measure corporate governance outcomes
- Provide recommendations on how to improve corporate governance practices
Who Should Take This Course?
This Corporate Governance course is perfect for investment professionals, consultants, financial analysts, and investor relations teams at both private and public companies. Whether approaching the topic through the eyes of a financial services professional, a founder, an ESG analyst, or a board advisor, this course has been designed to demystify corporate governance.