Equity Research Associate Job Description
- Research securities of target industries and companies to provide investment recommendations.
- Collect and interpret company data to facilitate recommendations
- Develop and write research reports and publications to be presented to management or shareholders
- Input data into proprietary financial models to create charts, dashboards and supporting material
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on industry happenings and current events.
- Conduct primary research from industry sources
Relevant skills, knowledge and experience:
- MBAs are preferred, although Bachelor’s are accepted as well.
- Finance, Accounting, Economics or Statistics are preferred fields.
- Ability to communicate effectively and express complex ideas succinctly.
- Ability to take initiative and meet deadlines under minimal supervision
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Industry experience in specific fields as mining, manufactury, technology or transportation is an asset.
- Strong proficiency of MS Office, Access and VBA is required.
- Proficiency of Bloomberg or Capital IQ, or other data mining software is an asset.
What is equity research?
Equity research positions involves providing analysis on securities data to inform managers and aid them in the investment process. This field requires problem-solving expertise and a broad knowledge of the stock market to interpret data into meaningful recommendations successfully. These recommendations often involve buying or selling certain equity investments.
The primary duty of an equity research associate is to assist senior analysts with regards to investment decision research. As an equity research associate, you will assist the company’s Equity Analysts and Portfolio Managers in the critical evaluation of relevant and profitable equity investments. Oftentimes, direction will be provided by senior team members, but the research associate must do the brunt of the valuation and sensitivity analysis. Other tasks may also involve producing financial models, evaluation of public information, and gathering any other available forms of data. Equity research associates may often also be tasked with interviewing managers, suppliers, customers and even competitors, to collect data.
The role of the equity research associate:
- Being an equity research associate is a pivotal role as it holds the responsibility of providing information to business management, which is then used in making important investment decisions.
- Other duties undertaken by the equity research associate may involve direct interactions with clients. The investment researcher has a responsibility of explaining to customers why the particular models are important in the implementation of successful business portfolios.
- An equity research associate might be working for a firm or individual salespeople.
This job description is in inspired by the responsibilities outlined by companies like Merrill Lynch Bank of America, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley and CLSA India.